With it being woman’s day today, I’ve been thinking about what that means. What does it mean to be a woman? What makes being a woman so special? How do I celebrate being a woman?
The other night, my hubby and I had a bit of a disagreement. The next day I was still holding on to whatever it was we had fought about and I had met a friend for coffee. I said to her, ‘sometimes I wish I could be more like a man. Men can let go of things so much easier than women. I don’t want to carry this argument with me the whole day. I want to talk about it and let it go, like my husband can do. Let it go and move on. Easy.’ Only not so easy, because that’s just not me. Yes, I hold on to things because I’m sensitive and things affect me deeply so sometimes, I can’t just let it go. It takes time. It takes reflection. It’s who I am. And while there are some things I envy about men; being able to pee anywhere, having more physical strength than me, not having to wax, ultimately I love being a woman. So I tried to think of all the reasons why I love being a woman. I am sure there are more that will come to me at another time, but for now, here are my 11 things I love about being a woman.
1. I love that I have the vulnerability and sensitivity to cry at the drop of a hat but that I also possess the strength of a lioness that can attack if provoked and can defend those that I love with a fierceness that will truly scare you.
2. I love that I can cook supper, bath my girls, light the fire, plan play dates all at the same time with an effortless ease that just comes naturally.
3. I love that I can change my make up, my clothes, and my look depending on what mood I’m in that day or where I’m going.
4. I love that I menstruate once a month because it reminds me that I am in tune with the moon, the tides, the stars. That my body is so sacred that it is affected by the beauty of nature and the universe. That makes me feel special, that I’m part of something divine and not so alone.
5. I love that my body is the most miraculous thing ever to be created. That I gave birth to 2 beautiful girls. That my body grew them, carried them, fed them is an absolute miracle. That the milk from my breasts gave them all the sustenance they needed for the first 6 months of their lives. And that those same breasts give me pleasure at the touch of my husband’s caress.
6. I love that I can see another woman’s frustration, joy, pain of being a woman and understand it intrinsically and deeply because I know what it feels like.
7. I love that if we’re out with woman friends, I can ask ‘anyone else need the toilet? I’m going’ and it be a perfectly normal thing to do.
8. I love the sexual energy that I have as a woman and the effect that it has on my husband.
9. I love that I get super excited about getting a ‘Kenwood K-Mix’ because baking for my family brings me great pleasure and joy.
10.I love that I can meet up with my friends and share my soul and feelings and be met with love and understanding.
11.I love that while I may not have the physical strength to do certain things, I have an inner strength which allows me to do whatever I want.
So there it is. I’m still not exactly sure what it means to be a woman. I just know what it means to be me. With all its hardships that it may bring, I am so grateful to be a woman. I feel special because I’m a woman and in that I celebrate. Being me. Being a woman.
Happy Women’s Day to all you beautiful, special women out there! x
Women, what would you add?
Men, what are the things you love about your woman?